Commerce Content is independent of Editorial and Advertising, and if you buy something through our posts, we may get a small share of the sale. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
As the best food dehydrators continue to become popular in the modern market, traditional methods of drying and preserving foodstuff are slowly becoming obsolete. Designed to dry food at different temperature ranges, these units can easily dehydrate just about any food of your choice.
There are many dehydrators in the market today. Each option has its pros and cons as well as features that make it stand out. So in this article, we’ll walk you through the best options in the market so far.
- 1 Top Food Dehydrators Reviews & Comparison
- 1.1 1. Nesco FD-75PR Food Dehydrator
- 1.2 2. Presto 06300 Dehydro Electric Food Dehydrator
- 1.3 3. Gourmia GFD1950 Premium Countertop Food Dehydrator
- 1.4 4. NESCO FD-37A Food Dehydrator
- 1.5 5. NESCO FD-1018A, Gardenmaster Food Dehydrator
- 1.6 6. Rosewill Countertop Portable Electric Food Fruit Dehydrator Machine
- 1.7 7. Gourmia GFD1680 Premium Countertop Food Dehydrator
- 1.8 8. Presto 06301 Dehydro Digital Electric Food Dehydrator
- 1.9 9. Hamilton Beach 32100A Digital Food Dehydrator
- 1.10 10. NESCO FD-1040, Gardenmaster Food Dehydrator
Top Food Dehydrators Reviews & Comparison
1. Nesco FD-75PR Food Dehydrator
If you’re looking for a food dehydrator that can dry any food you put into it, choose the Nesco FD-75PR. Unlike many units that take days to dry food, the FD-75PR only takes a few hours to do the same task.
The drying system, the adjustable thermostat, and the practically expandable design are the strongest selling points of this unit. With its 600 watts of power, this machine can easily process a number of foods with ease. Whether you want to preserve fruits and vegetables or you need to store processed meat and seeds for future consumption, this is the best machine to use.
Moreover, it has an opaque interior that offers sufficient protection from light. And it comes with additional accessories for the price.
Nesco FD-75PR comes with 5 circular trays. And you can add up to 7 more if you feel like there’s need for more. But as much as you can have 12 trays in this unit, the guidebook recommends using only four. The unit also features a few inserts, which you can use to dry liquids, spices, and puree.
The adjustable thermostat, which has a temperature range between 95 and 160 degrees F, gives you the flexibility you need to dry different foods with ease.
As much as Nesco FD-75PR cuts it in so many different aspects, it doesn’t have built-in timer. So if you want to tract the duration of drying, you’ll need to connect the device to an outlet timer.
- You can use it to preserve different berries
- It’s easy to clean, especially because the trays are removable.
- The unit comes with an instruction manual and the recipe book is quite handy.
- The unit is only available for 120V power options. You need to buy a converter separately if you live in a country with 240 V standards.
- The power cord is short.
2. Presto 06300 Dehydro Electric Food Dehydrator
Presto 06300 is a budget friendly dehydrator that works well just like a high-end model. It’s easy to use. And it’s a good option for a variety of foods including beef, chicken, and turkey. It features a single temperature setting, which should be enough most of the time.
The vertical airflow system is one of Presto 06300’s most significant features. At the very least, it helps with even distribution of heat from the bottom to the top of the drying trays while maintaining the primary flavor of each meal.
This unit comes with 4 drying trays. But it’s expandable. You can add up to 4 more trays if you want to dry even more food.
The transparent cover, which is made of a sturdy polycarbonate, allows you to look inside the dehydrator anytime. This means you can observe the drying process without necessarily taking off the cover.
The fan, located at the very bottom of the machine, helps to put hot upwards. And since the design of this unit is quite compact, the racks heat up quickly, thus enhancing the drying process.
- This device is easy to use. As such, it is a good option for people who are used to food dehydrators as well as those who’ve never used such a device before.
- Nesco FD-75PR is cheap, so it’s a good option for you if you’re on a tight budget.
- You get an instruction manual that’ll help you operate the device.
- It’s durable. In fact, it can last for up to 10 years before you itch for an upgrade.
- This unit doesn’t have a timer.
- It doesn’t have a thermostat, so it’s hard to monitor temperature.
- It makes noise when in use.
3. Gourmia GFD1950 Premium Countertop Food Dehydrator
With Gourmia GDF1950 countertop dehydrator, you can dry and preserve just about any food of your choice. From fruits and vegetables to meat and pet treats, there’s really no limit to what you can put into this kitchenware. Having been certified by the ETL, you can use this device with confidence since the materials used in design are safe.
Gourmia GDF1950 features 600 watts of power, which is perfect for the drying process. With this kind of power, Gourmia GDF1950 is able to dry foodstuffs fast. And it does it very well.
The digital temperature control system is part of this unit’s strongest selling point. It feature preset temperature options and 8 digital settings, which allow you to control the machine with ease. In fact, the settings give you accurate drying times as well as their temperature. Note that the temperature range is between 95 and 1598 degrees F. Once you have the settings right, the machine will do the rest of the work for you.
Gourmia GDF1950 comes with 9 drying trays, which means you can dry a large batch of foodstuff on the go. Each tray has a wider surface area. As such, this unit is a good fit for big families and large gatherings.
The see-through door allows you to monitor your food on the go, especially if you’re a control freak.
- The digital control panel makes Gourmia GDF1950 easy to use.
- This machine doesn’t make noise during operation, so it’s a good alternative to Presto 06300.
- The brand includes a free cookbook in the purchase.
- The 9 trays allow you to dry different varieties of foods on the go.
- The unit and the trays aren’t dishwasher safe.
- The booklet doesn’t have all the necessary instruction.
4. NESCO FD-37A Food Dehydrator
Nesco FD-37A, a kitchenware designed by Nesco American Harvest, is a cheap option with a premium feel and functionality. So whether you are on a budget or you just need a cheap dehydrator, this is a good option for you. The FD-37A weighs just 4.7 pounds, making it one of the most lightweight options in this list.
This unit features 400 watts of power, which is quite decent to dehydrate the food you put into it. This power isn’t good enough to dehydrate soggiest foods fast, so it might take a while to get the job done. Keep in mind that Nesco FD-37A doesn’t have a temperature range. Instead, the thermostat has a standard temperature of 160 degrees F.
It would have been great if Nesco used a horizontal heat distribution mechanism for the FD-37A. But the vertical form still dehydrates food more uniformly because the fan is at the top of the unit. The position of the fan ensures a continuous airflow. So you don’t need to rotate the trays to get the job done.
This unit comes with four dehydrating trays. And you can add three more if you wish to dry food in large batches. You can set the additional trays on top of each other, so they won’t take any space in your kitchen.
Because Nesco FD-37A has a transparent lid, you can easily see the drying process going on without lifting the lid. Moreover, the inner top of the lid doesn’t get foggy, no matter how much vapor forms in the unit during the dehydration period.
- This unit is very easy to clean
- Nesco FD-37A is cheap, hence a good option for buyers on a tight budget.
- You don’t need to rotate the drying tray since the unit ensures even heat distribution.
- You can add up to three extra trays.
- Nesco FD-37A doesn’t feature a timer
- The fan makes noise when the unit is in use.
5. NESCO FD-1018A, Gardenmaster Food Dehydrator
If you are in the market for a powerful food dehydrator that won’t cost you an arm and a leg, choose Nesco FD-1018A. Designed for both beginners and experts, the FD-1018A is the best alternative to Nesco FD-37A in the market right now. In fact, the FD-1018A has 600 more watts of drying power, which means it performs better than the FD-37A.
Nesco FD-1018A has a power capacity of 1000 watts. That’s enough power units to dry different types of foods in just a few hours. What’s more? You foods won’t lose their original flavor. And you are sure of the best dehydrating results in all conditions.
The built-in thermostat gives you a decent temperature range. This means you can easily adjust the hotness between 90 and 150 degree F depending on the kind of food you would like to dry.
Nesco uses a horizontal heat flow mechanism for the FD-1018A model. This technique ensures even distribution of hot air, thus providing consistent dehydration.
The parts that come into direct contact with your foodstuff are made of BPA-free plastics. That means you can confidently use this unit to dry any food of your choice without worrying about any health risk.
Although this unit can accommodate up to 30 trays, it comes with only 8 trays – which should be enough to get you started especially if you have a small family.
- It’s relatively cheap.
- You can add up to 30 trays.
- It’s good for large families or gatherings.
- It’s easy to use.
- It’s compact, so it takes up less space in your kitchen.
- This unit doesn’t have a timer.
- It makes some noise when it’s in use.
6. Rosewill Countertop Portable Electric Food Fruit Dehydrator Machine
Rosewill Dehydrator isn’t nearly as powerful as Nesco FD-1018A. But, it’s still an affordable option that can meet your needs. It doesn’t dry food faster than Nesco dehydrators, but the 250 watts of drying power is still good enough to get the job done. The fan fixed at the very bottom of this unit is where the machine’s power comes from. It produces and evenly distributes the hot air required to dry foods.
One of the best features of Rosewill Food and Fruit Dehydrator is the optimal drying capability. The fan together with the heating element provides a consistent airflow to dry your foods well. Since there is even heat distribution, you don’t need to rotate the trays.
This dehydrator has 250 watts of drying power. It might not dry food faster like Nesco FD-1018A due to differences in power units, but its performance isn’t disappointing. Also, it features an adjustable temperature range between 95 and 155 degrees, so you can dry a variety of foods with ease at their appropriate temperatures.
Rosewill Dehydrator features five trays, which is good enough to dehydrate a large batch of food. It’s important to keep in mind that the trays keep each food type separate from each other. Since the foodstuffs don’t mix at any point in time, you never have to worry about losing the initial flavor of any food that you dehydrate.
- Each tray has a surface area big enough to dry a large chunk of food.
- This model is compact, so it won’t take up space in your kitchen.
- The dehydrator is also lightweight, so it should be easy to carry around.
- It doesn’t make a lot of noise when in operation.
- Not suitable for heavy duty drying
- It doesn’t come with a timer
7. Gourmia GFD1680 Premium Countertop Food Dehydrator
If you are looking for the best food dehydrator under $100, you will find Gourmia GDF1680 useful. For one, it doesn’t take you more than a first glance to notice just how good this machine looks. Add the unique features below to the mix. What you get is a high-quality unit that you can use for years to come.
The wide temperature range is, in my opinion, the strongest selling point of Gourmia 1650. With a temperature range between 35 and 70 degrees Celsius, you get enough heat to dry just about any food you wish to put into this machine.
Managing the temperature range is easy, thanks to the built-in thermostat. You get 8 pre-programmed heat settings, which allow you to dry food at constant temperature.
Then there is the digital timer, a feature that’s quite rare in many high-end food dehydrators. The timer lets you time the dehydration process. And it’s a great function. That’s because it helps to protect your food from overheating.
Gourmia 1650 uses a 360-egree circulation technique to distribute hot air to all the trays. Since this technique ensures each drying surface receives even circulation of air, you don’t need to rotate the trays at all. In fact, this technique ensures that hot air reaches every angle of each tray, thus drying your food properly.
This unit comes with 6 trays, but you can add 2 more if you need more drying space. Remember, Gourmia is all about safety. They want you to dry and eat healthy food without worrying about toxic chemicals. This explains why their trays are BPA free.
- This dehydrator is easy to clean
- It doesn’t make noise during operation
- It’s easy to clean
- It’s not dishwasher safe
- Not available for 240 V countries
8. Presto 06301 Dehydro Digital Electric Food Dehydrator
Maybe you’ve never used a food dehydrator before and you’re looking for a beginner-friendly option. If that’s the case, you might want to consider Presto 06201 Dehydro. Generally, this is a good starter appliance because it’s easy to operate. It’s also a budget unit, hence a good option for you if you are on a budget.
For the price, you get a unit with 6 drying trays, 2 roll sheets for fruits, 2 durable nonstick screens, and a user manual to help you use the machine properly.
One of the features that set Presto 06301 from other food dehydrators in the market is its drying power. It has 750 watts, which is enough units of drying power that can dehydrate any food you throw to it. Apparently, this product competes head to head with Nesco FD-1018A, which has 1000 watts of dehydrating power.
The machine also features a decent temperature range of between 90 and 165 degrees, which is good for drying foods at their respective heat zone. The digital temperature controller makes it easy for you to control heat accordingly.
You will love the automated timer system, because it automatically shuts off the unit after a given period. This feature helps to prevent overheating during dehydration.
Note that the plastic parts are BPA-free. So if you’re a health cautious person, just keep in mind that the plastic is completely safe. The clear cover lets you see the dehydration process happening in real time.
- All the parts are BPA-free and safe for human health
- This is a cheap unit, hence a good option for people on a budget
- It features a decent temperature range as well as a digital timer.
- It’s compact, so it takes up less space
- It guarantees uniform drying
- Not easy to clean
- It’s somewhat bulky
9. Hamilton Beach 32100A Digital Food Dehydrator
Hamilton Beach isn’t a new name in the kitchenware space. It’s a popular brand mostly because it designs the best kitchenware for its target market. From oven and coffeemakers to juicers and food dehydrators, this company has the best kitchen accessories just for you. The 32100A Digital Food Dehydrator is one of the well-rated kitchenware in the brand’s product. And it’s worth buying if you are looking for a food dehydrator specifically from this company.
Hamilton Beach 32100A comes with 5 stackable trays, all made of high quality BPA-free plastic. You can use these trays to dry just about any food of your choice.
This dehydrator wouldn’t be as good as it is without the digital timer and the auto shut off system.
The digital timer lets you set the drying time depending on the type of food you’d like to dehydrate. You can set the time anywhere between 1 and 48 hours to achieve the dehydration consistency that you need. The auto shut off system helps to stop the dehydration process after the set time.
The built-in adjustable thermostat adds to the function and precision of this unit. And given that it’s a digital system built into a budget dehydrator, the price is definitely a steal. Here, you have the freedom to adjust the temperature between 1000 and 1600 degree F.
- The auto shut off feature is a plus.
- It has the best temperature range.
- The Hamilton Beach 32100A dries food faster than many models in the market.
- The unit is somewhat noisy during operation
- It’s small, thus not suitable for large families.
10. NESCO FD-1040, Gardenmaster Food Dehydrator
How people dry and preserve food today isn’t the same way they did half a decade ago. Kitchen technology has improved. So much that you can now use an advanced dehydrator for the process. In fact, Nesco FD-1040 makes it possible for you to dry and preserve a variety of foods from the comfort of your home.
You never want to use a dehydrator only to realize later that the plastic trays you’ve been using are toxic to your health. Thanks to its transparent and clear design standards, Nesco makes it clear that the plastic used to design the trays are BPA-free. This means safe to use, as they don’t pose any risk to your health.
Coming to the heating system, this unit features 1000 watts of drying power that dries foodstuff in hours instead of days. And the temperature range between 90 and 160 degrees F gives you the options you need to dry different types of foods.
- It offers about 1000 watts of drying power at a fair price.
- This unit is expandable because it can accommodate up to 20 trays.
- There’s consistent and even airflow, so you don’t need to rotate the drying trays.
- The digital timer, which turns off after the pre-set time, ensures consistency in the drying process.
- You get only four trays
- You can add additional trays to this machine, but they are somewhat costly.
These dehydrators don’t just enhance the shelf life of the food you dry and preserve. They also make your food taste great. And with their precision, versatility, and flexibility, you can be sure that the unit you buy will work well for months to come.